Friday, December 27, 2013

3 things I do to create an intelligent conversation

The frustrating thing about being intelligent is finding people you can have an intelligent conversation with. Most people "hear just the first part of a sentence" and then stop their listening mode and think about their own similar experience to top what you or someone else is saying. They are not learning or expanding they are just spewing out memories. Here are 3 things I do to create an intelligent conversation with someone who doesn't listen: 
1. I engage a person and ask lots of questions about what it is they do (to learn something new from an expert), 
2. I ask what are the 3 things that have made them successful, and 
3. do they have a vision of what could be improved (whether it is their job, company processes or life in general). It at least gets them thinking, and I learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment